Monday, July 28, 2014

Electric Bear Trap Interview


1.For those that have never heard of you before, can you tell us a little bit about the band?
Luke:We are a Grindcore/Punk/Thrash Metal band from Southern Illinois who really don't not take ourselves seriously.In fact.We had never even thought we would be where we are today a few years ago.It kinda just started as a joke.Me and Ian(The Guitarist and only original member besides myself.) have been best friends since second grade and have had a love for the same music.It just kinda happened one night when we wrote a song about a girl who eats her own period blood after we had found this sick Yahoo answers question where this girl asked if it was safe to eat her own dead eggs.gross stuff,but it made us laugh.



2.So far you have released 2 ep's, how would you describe the musical sound that is presented on both of the recordings and also how do they differ from each other?
Ian:Well they both contain a lot of micro songs.We both really like the grindcore band Agoraphobic Nosebleed,and they have one album with 100 songs in 21 minutes…You do the math.So we thought “We could do something like that!” and so we did.
Luke:As far as sounding different form each other I tried to change my vocal style from the growling that I don’t do very well to this sort of…Hardcore Punk style of yelling.I Just tried to sound as pissed as possible.Also I would like to add,we have more songs written,just not recorded at this time.They are more full length songs lasting anywhere from 2-4 minutes.Also The Scrawny EP was recorded on an iphone.

3.Your lyrics cover some humorous yet disgusting topics, is the main purpose of your lyrics to offend sensitive people or people that cannot handle jokes?

Luke:Not really.We just have a really dark sense of humor.All our songs are about real life stuff.Like I said earlier,this chick legit wanted to know if she could eat her unfertilized eggs.IT HAPPENED.In Nam they shoved rectal thermometers into the heads of US soldiers and smashed em with a hammer so they pissed glass for a week.IT HAPPENED.We are pretty sick of this whole “Everything's alright,and everybody's ok.” Attitude in music.I am glad people are happy but…We can no longer sit by and just think everything is ok when a family will be executed tomorrow.


4.What is the meaning and inspiration behind the name 'Electric bear Trap'?
Ian:I was  watching the newest Predator,at the time,with my Dad and our Friend Germ and this dude stepped on a bear trap and it shocked him,so I said “Whoa…Electric bear trap.” And Germ then replied “That would be a rad name for a Death Metal band.” And it has stuck with  me ever since.That was like ten years ago.I brought the name up to Luke after we wrote our first song and of course he loved it.

5.Has the band been able to do any live shows yet or is this strictly a studio project?
Luke:We have played one so far.It’s hard for us to keep a drummer as well.We had one dude who stuck with us for a while but he quit because of College and life stuff.Also since people know what we are about and what our lyrics are about,it is a little difficult to find a promoter who will let us play without worrying if people will hate him for it.Though we have found a guy who loves our music and lyrics who doesn’t care if people hate him for letting us play.He is just starting out but he’s putting together a show in Herrin IL and we are guaranteed to be on the bill and on the bill for the other shows he will be putting on this year and the next.So expect us to pop up a little bit more here and there.

6.The first ep was released on Swirly Records, can you tell us a little bit more about this label?
Luke:The owner of said label is my cousin Kyle Docherty.He owed me a few favors and I’m family so he let us record our first little EP,Grindcore Extreme,there for free.Though I later had to add in drums because at the time it was just Me and Ian.He is based out of Chirstopher IL and does really good work and can do a lot with all those knobs and stuff.He doesn’t just stick to metal either.I watched this dude record a rapper one time…He was white but…You get the point.Check him out.

7.On a worldwide level how has the feedback been to your music by fans of punk and grindcore?
Ian:Worldwide?Lets go with statewide MAYBE.Well…In our area the most popular type of music being played is Metal/Deathcore. The type of people who make an album with 10 songs with 40 breakdowns who also whine and complain about their lives and problems.I don’t care what type of music you play…But for Christs sake…Who the hell handed those kids guitars.
Luke:We get 2 types of people…The ones who love us…And the ones who hate us.There is no inbetween.Most kids wanna hardcore dance(Or as I like to call it,look like an epileptic kid trying to swim.) but they really cant to our music because it’s not chuggy  nor does it have a ton of breakdowns.But alas there are those people who get us,the ones that go “Ah…These guys just wanna have fun,party,and make us laugh at their sick sense of humor.So it’s been so so…My Aunt likes us so…I guess that’s something.


8.Are any of the band members also involved with other bands or musical projects?

Ian:My Black Metal solo project,Bloodfjord and my Thrash Metal project Maniabolical.Neither of them have any recordings done but I plan to change that at some point this year.
Luke:I do my own solo acoustic stuff called Luke Dare over on Bandcamp.com and have a new album coming soon.Also I have a Crust Metal band in the veins of KARP called Urchin with a friend I met through mutal friends named Jake Layne.

9.When can we expect a full length album and also where do you see the band heading into musically during the future?
Maybe by the end of the year or the beginning of 2015.We are waiting on a guy named Zach(The guy who’s putting together the shows I mentioned earlier.) to get enough equipment together to get us a decent sound,but if we get impatient we may just go back to using Garageband on the iphone.The sound may not be top notch but hey…This isn’t pop…Its Grind.

10.What are some of the bands or musical styles that have had an influence on your music and also what are you listening to nowadays?
Luke:Well mostly the influences come from a lot of genres,Punk,Death Metal,Grindcore(Of course),and a little bit of Indie Rock like FIDLAR.Bands like Agoraphobic Nosebleed,and Pig Destroyer give us our Grindy sound.Death Metal bands like Dying Fetus help us out with our limited breakdowns,and bands like Rancid and Dead Kennedys help with the punk stuff.I listen to pretty much everything now day but I’ve  been listen to quite a bit of Katy Perry,Black Flag,FIDLAR,KARP,N.W.A. and the Dead Rising 3 soundtrack these last few days.
Ian:I listen to Cradle of Filth,Ghost,Vampire Weekend,Mastodon,Municipal Waste,The Aquabats.

11.What are some of your non musical interests?
Ian:Beatin' it,Vidja Games,Playing with Animals,you know the usual.
Luke:Looking at the strangly hot Mennonite chick I deliver car parts to at work,what Ian said,I also make Video games at Adibok Studios(You can find us on the facebook.) and I host a radio station dedicated to playing music I deem “hardcore” on Spreaker.com called Valier Hardcore Radio.I host a show just about everyday at about the same time.You can also find that on facebook as well if you’d like?

12.Before we wrap up this interview, do you have any final words or thoughts?
Ian:Thanks for doing this man.I guess if anyone wants to check us out you can find us on Bandcamp.com and on Facebook just search for Electric Bear Trap.
Luke:Yes,thank you very much man.We hope we put in a good read for your readers.Thanks again!

No comments:

Post a Comment